As a human, behavior-centered discipline, we value a strong understanding of diversity. Diversity refers to differences in race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, abilities, class, nationality, and other factors. The Department of Psychology at the University of Maryland is committed to creating a respectful and affirming climate in which all students, staff, and faculty are inspired to achieve their full potential.
We believe that actively fostering an affirming environment strengthens our department as a whole. A department that values and celebrates diversity among its students, staff and faculty is best able to develop the strengths and talents of all members of the department community.
We take a multi-pronged approach to creating an affirming climate within the Department of Psychology by:
- Attracting, supporting and retaining faculty, students, and staff that represent the diversity of our community and field
- Cultivating a culture of acceptance and inclusion in which diversity is integral, authentic, intrinsically valued, and visible
- Welcoming honest and open discussion regarding diversity issues
- Incorporating diversity as a central component of our academic curriculum
- Enhancing awareness of diversity issues through ongoing research and applied work
- Developing and strengthening relationships with diverse community and international partners
Psychology’s Diversity Committee:
Faculty and Staff Members
Erica Glasper (Co-Chair)
Nazish Salahuddin (Co-Chair)
Graduate Student Members
Jae Eun Lee
Undergraduate Student Members
Talk to us!
Do you have an idea about how to improve diversity and inclusion in our Psychology department?
Do you have a concern you would like to raise to the committee?
We welcome all feedback, ideas, and concerns: fill out this anonymous survey or reach out directly to the committee co-chairs, Erica Glasper (eglasper [at] umd.edu) and Naz Salahuddin (nsalah [at] umd.edu).
UMD Campus resources:
- The University of Maryland’s strategic plan for diversity can be found at: https://www.provost.umd.edu/Documents/Strategic_Plan_for_Diversity.pdf
- A brief video from Dr. Kumea Shorter-Gooden, the Chief Diversity Officer, is available at: http://vimeo.com/59079624
- A comprehensive list of campus resources related to diversity is available at: https://faculty.umd.edu/diversity/campusresources.html
Psychology Related Resources:
- Society for the Psychology Study of Ethnic Minority Issues
- APA Ethnic Minority Affairs Office
- American Psychological Association of Graduate Students Committee on Ethnic Minority Affairs (APAGS-CEMA)
- Section on Ethnic and Racial Diversity (SERD), Division 17
- APA Minority Fellowship Program
- APA Guidebooks and Resources for Students of Color
- The Association of Black Psychologists (ABPsi)
- Asian American Psychological Association
- National Latina/o Psychological Association
- Society of Indian Psychologists
Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
- Society for the Study of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Issues
- APA Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns
- American Psychological Association of Graduate Students Committee Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity (CSOGD)
- GLBT Alliance in Social and Personality Psychology
- Section for LGBT Issues, Division 17
- APAGS Resource Guide for LGBT Students in Psychology
- LGBT Graduate Student Mentoring Program
- APA Disability Issues Office
- American Psychological Association of Graduate Students Information for Students with Disabilities
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology Diversity Initiatives
- APS Researching Injustice and Social Equality (RISE)