Apply for Admission
Inquiries and or questions regarding the doctoral program and its admissions process and requirements should be sent directly to PsycGradStudies@umd.edu.
To maintain our low student-faculty ratio that permits high-quality supervision of both research and professional education, only a small number of students with outstanding credentials are selected for admission each year. The Department only accepts graduate students who have demonstrated the capacity for completing the doctoral degree and whose goals are consistent with the educational opportunities offered by our specialty areas.
The specific criteria for admission to the Department of Psychology vary somewhat across specialty areas but generally include a high undergraduate grade point average, high scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), strong letters of recommendation, and research experience and/or previous relevant work experience. In most specialty areas, students are expected to have a thorough background in psychology, however, some specialty areas prefer a thorough background in mathematics, biological and/or physical sciences (see specialty area descriptions). Students are expected to have appropriate background experiences that prepare them to begin graduate work when they enter our graduate program.
To be considered for admission, a complete application should be received by December 1.
Application Process and Requirement
The University of Maryland’s Graduate School accepts applications through its ApplyYourself/Hobsons application system. Before completing the application, applicants are asked to check the Admissions Requirements or specific instructions.
Completing the Online Application is the first part of the application process. Both the Graduate School and the graduate programs require additional supplemental information from all applicants.
As required by the Graduate School and the Department of Psychology, the following materials must be submitted:
1. A completed online application. To apply for admission, click here: Apply now for admission
2. A non-refundable application fee of $75.00.
3. One complete set of transcripts reflecting all undergraduate and graduate work completed or in progress. Each transcript must bear the signature of the registrar and the seal of the granting institution and should include the years of attendance, courses taken, grades received, class standing and the degree, certificate or diploma received. For immediate access to review, you can upload a copy of your transcript(s) into the Hobson's application system.
4. A minimum of three letters of recommendation.
5. Statement of Goals, Experiences, and Research Interests (aka Personal Statement).
6. If you are an international student, additional test scores may be required, such as TOEFL. Please review the Information for International Graduate Students.
7. GRE Scores (official copies must be sent directly from ETS). The University of Maryland, College Park institutional code for the GRE is 5814. The Psychology Department does not use a separate code.
8. Program-Specific Requirements. These forms must be completed and submitted in addition to the Graduate School online application.
- Supplementary Application (Counseling Psychology only)
- Supplementary Application (Social, Decision, and Organizational Sciences only)
- Writing Sample (optional) (uploaded to the Upload Requirements section of the application).
9. (OPTIONAL) If you're interested in applying for the Maryland Diversity Scholar Research Assistantship in Psychological Science, a 12-month, full-time Research Assistantship with highly competitive stipend, please be sure to indicate your interest in your "Statement of Goals, Experiences, and Research Interests (aka Personal Statement)" and explain why you should be considered.
10. (OPTIONAL) If you're interested in applying for the Fellowships in Support of Diversity and Inclusion in the Behavioral and Social Sciences (2017-18), please be sure to upload your material under "4. Supplementary Application Two" when submitting your online admissions application.
Contact for Technical Issues
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Hobsons online application’s helpdesk for any technical issues. For questions related to the admissions process, prospective students may contact the Graduate School.
Information for International Graduate Students
The University of Maryland is dedicated to maintaining a vibrant international graduate student community. The office of International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS)is a valuable resource for information and assistance for prospective and current international students. International applicants are encouraged to explore the services they offer and contact them with related questions.
The University of Maryland Graduate School offers admission to international students based on the academic information; it is not a guarantee of attendance. Admitted international students will then receive instructions for obtaining the appropriate visa to study at the University of Maryland which will require submission of additional documents. Please see the Graduate Admissions Process for International applicants for more information.
1. The Department of Psychology's program code is PSYC.
2. Be sure that all the materials you are submitting are labeled with your first & last name and the specialty area to which you are applying.
3. Although they are not required, consider including GRE scores with application materials. They will be useful if there are delays in transmitting official documents.
4. Area of specialization must be filled in and you may apply to only one area.
5. We admit students in the Fall term ONLY.
6. Frequently Asked Questions from department can be found here: Psychology FAQ
7. Frequently Asked Questions from the Graduate School can be found here: Graduate School FAQ
8. If you do not have an official copy or your transcript to upload to your online application, you may have your official transcripts mailed to:
University of Maryland
Enrollment Service Operations
Application for Graduate Admission
Room 0130 Mitchell Building
College Park, Maryland 20742
For the expedited submission of official transcripts, students should bring official/sealed envelopes in person to the Graduate School's (Admissions) front desk located in the:
University of Maryland
The Graduate School
2123 Lee Building
College Park, Maryland 20742