Psychology is one of our campus' most popular majors and is classified as a limitted enrollment program (LEP). The gateway requirements are in place to ensure that anyone who pursues the major is prepared to be successful in the field. More information about the gateway courses is on the Degree Requirements page.
All students accepted directly as freshman into the psychology major, or who declare by the last day of classes in their first semester, will undergo an Academic Review at 45 credits (earned at Maryland) in order to remain in the major. You will need to have completed the LEP gateway requirements and earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 to remain in the major.
Transfering from Another Major or Another School
Any student who wants to add psychology as a major has to have already completed the LEP gateway requirements.
- Visit the Department of Psychology’s Office of Undergraduate Studies (BPS 1121) to meet with an Academic Advisor. Summer hours may vary, so please give the office a call to confirm that an Advisor is available. To schedule an appointment, please call (301) 405-5866.
- During your visit with an Academic Advisor you will be given information on completing the mandatory online Change of Major Workshop, and you will receive an official application to the major.
- After successful completion of the Change-of-Major Workshop, you will be able to complete the BSOS Academic Planning Workshop. For available appointments, or to complete the workshop online, visit www.bsosworkshops.umd.edu.
- Submit your application and academic plan to the BSOS Advising Center in Tydings 2148.
- BSOS Advising will send you an email notifying you of your status. Please note that this may take a few weeks.